The 6th annual GivingTuesday movement sweeps the nation December 3, 2019, uniting individuals, businesses and communities in a shared expression of ‘doing good,’ and pledging time to volunteer, advocate for favourite causes or simply show compassion and care for others.
This isn’t really a new concept for Langley. Year after year, Langley has shown its giving spirit and local charities and businesses have even partnered under the banner LangleyGives to promote all the great volunteerism and philanthropy efforts seen by Langley residents, for Langley residents.
Why GivingTuesday is important
GivingTuesday is more than a moment, it’s a movement. By participating in GivingTuesday, you will join a new generation of community champions lending a hand to make our local and global community a better place.
#ShowTheLove as a family
- Discuss your family’s favourite charity. Encourage your kids to research what charities are in their local community and share ideas as a family on how you can show support today, or throughout the year.
- Kids, ask your parents to make a commitment where they work! Businesses are an important part of our compassionate community, too.
- “Pay it forward” in your neighbourhood. Mow an elderly neighbour’s lawn; buy a coffee for the next person in line at your local coffee shop; volunteer as a family for a special event…there are endless examples on how giving a little time or money can make big impact on people in your community.
#ShareTheLove as a business community
- Choose a charity of choice to get a per cent of sales for the month of November.
- Ask each member of your staff to share what charity they support and why, and #ShowtheLove on your company social media page.
- Organize an office toy or food drive.
- Designate Fridays in November as a casual day where staff can dress down by donation.
- Host a walk-a-thon, bike-a-thon, etc. Co-workers can compete individually or the event can become a departmental challenge.
- Volunteering is a great way for staff to build team spirit and contribute back to the community and customers in positive ways. Contact a charity you are passionate about and see if you can volunteer as a team.
Langley – a giving community
Starting November 1 we are asking you to take the pledge to “show the love” and “share the love.”
- #ShowTheLove – Lead by example. Post photos on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or SnapChat explaining the good work you, your family, your school or your community group is doing this year.
- #SharetheLove – Look for posts from other businesses and other individuals who are showing their giving spirit. Keep an eye out for the #LangleyGives heart logo – including on ads in the Langley Advance Times – and promote any challenges issued for others to join the GivingTuesday community.
For more information on local activities and charities to support, visit facebook.com/LangleyGives